Friday, March 06, 2009

Google Latitude on T-Mobile UK G1 RC9 my final solution

7th March 2009 - UPDATE: After a couple of days and reboots Latitude has managed to disable itself again on my G1. Now looking for ways to either reset Google Maps and Latitude to their original state or find a different fix.....

OK I was about to post a blog post (now attached to the end of this one as a 'what not to do'), thinking that all my G1 Latitude problems were solved, but I checked and Latitude had returned to its disabled state. Instead I've found a much better solution here. This has worked for me and I'm now running a version of RC9 which has Latitude enabled. You do need to get root access to your device before you can do this, so the steps are:

1) follow these instructions to get root access on your G1
2) follow this guide to install this updated JF RC9 firmware without a sim in the phone.

and Robert's your Father's brother, you'll end up with this:



And for posterity here is what NOT to do:
Some people across the digital sphere have been claiming that Latitude has been working for them on the UK G1, personally I still have nada. So I've decided to take action and hook my G1 up with JesusFreke's UK RC9 firmware. This is a hacked firmware that first requires you to gain root access on your G1. Also there were reports of Latitude not working on that either, so I went to the US RC33 firmware first, oh and to get root access you first have to downgrade your phone to RC7. So 3 firmwares later I finally have Latitude running on a UK G1 with RC9, was it worth it? of course not, but if you fancy trying it, it takes about an hour and of course I take no responsibility for borked phones:

1) follow these instructions to get root access on your G1
2) Install JF RC33 firmware
3) You should have a UK device running US RC33 firmware now, check that latitude is running. Now you could choose to leave your G1 in this state, personally I didn't like the US formatting of the phone numbers, too many hyphens, and my phone became unstable when opening and closing the keyboard. So I decided to continue to the UK firmware.
4) Download the JF RC9 firmware and rename it to update.zip and place it in the root of your SD Card.
5) Download JFUpdater and install it on your G1. Easiest way is to go to http://code.google.com/p/jfupdater/downloads/list on your G1.
6) Run JFUpdater and choose to install the update.zip that it finds on your SD card.

These are the steps I followed and as I say I now have a UK G1 running RC9 firmware with Latitude and the latest marketplace running.

Note: after a couple of reboots Latitude has disappeared, not happy. Question is do I go back to RC33 or not.

12 comments:

Peachymiller said...

I just loaded google maps from the market, it asked if I wished to replace my current one. I did so and there is latitude, letting me know where I am!

Ponyegg said...

Yep, just did the same thing here, got Latitude runnign a treat, just need friends now who are willign to let me know where they are...

Anonymous said...

Good day !.
might , perhaps curious to know how one can make real money .
There is no need to invest much at first. You may begin earning with as small sum of money as 20-100 dollars.

AimTrust is what you haven`t ever dreamt of such a chance to become rich
AimTrust represents an offshore structure with advanced asset management technologies in production and delivery of pipes for oil and gas.

Its head office is in Panama with offices around the world.
Do you want to become a happy investor?
That`s your chance That`s what you desire!

I feel good, I started to take up real money with the help of this company,
and I invite you to do the same. If it gets down to choose a correct partner who uses your funds in a right way - that`s AimTrust!.
I make 2G daily, and my first deposit was 1 grand only!
It`s easy to join , just click this link http://jykywyfu.freecities.com/ahylyt.html
and go! Let`s take this option together to feel the smell of real money

Anonymous said...

Good day !.
You re, I guess , probably very interested to know how one can collect a huge starting capital .
There is no initial capital needed You may start to get income with as small sum of money as 20-100 dollars.

AimTrust is what you haven`t ever dreamt of such a chance to become rich
The company represents an offshore structure with advanced asset management technologies in production and delivery of pipes for oil and gas.

Its head office is in Panama with affiliates everywhere: In USA, Canada, Cyprus.
Do you want to become an affluent person?
That`s your chance That`s what you really need!

I`m happy and lucky, I began to get income with the help of this company,
and I invite you to do the same. It`s all about how to choose a correct companion who uses your savings in a right way - that`s AimTrust!.
I make 2G daily, and my first deposit was 1 grand only!
It`s easy to start , just click this link http://jikenoxy.greatnow.com/ecunyg.html
and go! Let`s take this option together to feel the smell of real money

Anonymous said...

Every day more and more people are looking for alternative ways to make money, or to earn a living, both in the online and offline worlds people are starting realize that having a “job” and working 40 hours a week for 40 years is not the ideal way to live.

So we have put this site together to outline some alternative ways, that people can go about generating an income, including affiliate marketing, selling ebooks, and even stock market investing. Feel free to explore the ideas on this site, join the discussions under each article or suggest an idea we haven’t thought of yet…

Anonymous said...

Good day, sun shines!
There have were times of hardship when I felt unhappy missing knowledge about opportunities of getting high yields on investments. I was a dump and downright stupid person.
I have never thought that there weren't any need in big starting capital.
Nowadays, I feel good, I started take up real money.
It's all about how to choose a proper partner who utilizes your funds in a right way - that is incorporate it in real deals, and shares the profit with me.

You may ask, if there are such firms? I'm obliged to answer the truth, YES, there are. Please be informed of one of them:
http://theinvestblog.com [url=http://theinvestblog.com]Online Investment Blog[/url]

Anonymous said...

It suits me.

Anonymous said...

Purchasing memory is such a big hassle... You have to search online for prices, filter through which ones are genuine, go out to a bunch of electronics shops,compare prices, finally buy your memory, and then hope that the price doesn't drop in the next month or so.

I've been f'd over by crazy price changes in the past... especially this one time when I bought a Micro SD for my R4 gaming flash card at what I mistakenly assumed was a steal, only to later see that it had dropped five bucks in a week's time.

(Submitted from Nintendo DS running [url=http://kwstar88.zoomshare.com/2.shtml]R4i DS[/url] PostNext)

Anonymous said...

In short…
---------------------------------------------------------
Signature:buy levitra professional online beq

Anonymous said...

The matter is that…
---------------------------------------------------------
Signature:lipitor 40mg gstvw
lexapro 10mg ugllr

Anonymous said...

As your conviction is strengthened you will-power unearth that there is no longer the dire to from a discrimination of oversee, that things commitment stream as they last will and testament, and that you purpose surge with them, to your extraordinary gladden and benefit.

Anonymous said...

A man begins cutting his insight teeth the earliest chance he bites out more than he can chew.